Monday, February 10, 2014

EDLD 5366 Digital Course Reflection (Week 5)

Week 5 1.1 Reflection

My initial thought of EDLD 5366, Digital Graphics, was understanding how this course was going to relate to being an administrator. During week one, I learned the four principles of design (contrast, repetition, alignment, and proximity) and how to identify them on visual graphics and manuscripts. During the following weeks, I began to see the beauty of the principles of design by creating a personal logo and an animation.
The most beneficial assignment was the group project on creating a webpage design. I learned how to communicate collaboratively using Google Docs. Each week the group members wrote comments to work together to conquer the task. Many times people despise group work when they have to trust and rely on others to complete a task. However, the best part about group work is that it allows for us to learn from others. I experienced this first hand when I had issues with the alignment on my webpage. I called out to my group and in the end the alignment issue was solved. In addition, this assignment provided me with the opportunity to learn how to create a Google Site, embed graphics and visuals, create and delete pages, and how to set a background. Technology often times can be tricky so I had to rely on my group and YouTube videos when troubles arose.
As I thought critically about group work, I thought about the stakeholders of a campus working together towards a goal. In essence, as a campus we are working as a group and relying on everyone to do their part to increase student achievement. Every grade level relies on the previous grade for students to master the skills and expectations. However, I also realize that one of the challenges at every campus is getting every stakeholder to participate in working together. This is an area I began researching during this course. I began reading Love Works: Seven Timeless Principles for Effective Leaders by Joel Manby. Even though I’m only a few chapters in, I've learned to lead with a caring and loving heart. Manby (2012) states “we all need to be held accountable, and as leaders we are responsible to hold others accountable (p. 32). I believe as the administrator that I must demonstrate collaborative leadership skills to guide the campus towards success. Using Google Docs can be an effective way to collaborate with others during a campus book study or to share educational ideas. Another thing I realized was the need to support my teachers in ways to integrate technology. Technology can be intimidating for those with little experience. Blair states “these new 21st century learners are highly relational and demand quick access to new knowledge. More than that, they are capable of engaging in learning at a whole new level. With the world literally at their fingertips, today’s students need teachers and administrators to re-envision the role of technology in the classroom” (p.1) to demonstrate the level of technological knowledge teachers must demonstrate in the classroom.  
At the end of the course, my perception changed on how I could use what I learned as a future administrator. As the school’s leader, I will be responsible for creating the campus newsletter and maintaining the campus website. The four principles of design will assist me in knowing what is appealing to the reader’s eye, the stakeholders. One of my goals is to create a logo with the campus staff to identify who were our as a campus. The purpose is that the logo reflects our campus vision and mission. Using animation captures the minds of young learners. Having animation knowledge will lead me to instruct the staff on ways the teachers can incorporate animation in their classrooms. As a lifelong collaborative learner, I assess my own learning through the end result of the goal and evaluating if the outcome was accomplished. In the end I look for ways to improve the goal. 
As this course comes to a close my perception changed on how to use technology as a valuable tool. In addition, on how I can transfer what I’ve learned to my teachers and students. Nagel (2010) reported on a study conducted at Walden University and found that “teachers who use technology frequently in their classrooms perceive greater benefits to student learning--particularly learning 21st century skills--than teachers who are less frequent users” (p. 1) to validate the importance of using technology in the classroom.

Citation:
Blair, N. (2012). Technology integration for the new 21st century learner. National Association of Elementary School Principals. Retrieved from http://www.naesp.org/principal-januaryfebruary-2012-technology/technology-integration-new-21st-century-learner

Manby, J. (2012). Love works: Seven timeless principles for effective leaders. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan. National

Nagel, D. (2010). Teachers report educational benefits of frequent technology use. The Journal: Transforming Education Through Technology. Retrieved from  http://thejournal.com/articles/2010/06/28/teachers-report-educational-benefits-of-frequent-technology-use.aspx

Week 5 1.2 Reflection

Our world is surrounded by technology and continues to grow as it captures the minds of our children. Utilizing technology can further enhance a child's learning experience in all content areas. Children love learning through websites and apps that provide engaging educational games.
I would utilize websites by requiring teachers to maintain a website as another line of communication for parents and students. I would require the following pages to be up-to-date on a weekly basis.
Ø  All About the Teacher
Ø  Class Schedule
Ø  Classroom Learning and Behavior Expectations
Ø  Campus and Classroom Events
Ø  Homework Information
Ø  Educational Games and Apps (with links)
Ø  Important Links (district home page, lunch menu, etc.)

I feel that having these required pages allows the parents to get a glimpse of what is happening in the classroom. Having an educational games and apps page provides the students quick access to use the same websites used in school. In addition, I think having a classroom social media site (Edmodo or Facebook) is also a great tool to communicate with students and parents and allows them to comment on what is happening in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment